Friday 7 March 2014

Broken- New and Improved Treatment



What is Broken?

Broken is a Psychological Thriller involving a woman, and a little girl. The opening involves a woman waking up from a bad dream, which she suddenly erupts from. Through the flashbacks a sense of enigma will be created, as many unanswered questions will be raised such as who is she and who's the little girl in reference to the woman and who is the man.

Themes

The main themes of this thriller will be: Confusion, Regret, Greed, Selfishness, Pain, Love-loss and Family. As it follows the life of a distraught and broken women who has been corrupted by media after downwards spiral from fame.

The Narrative

Debby suddenly wakes up in an unfamiliar place with a case of amnesia. The bright sunlight causes her to get severe headaches which causes her to have flashbacks of her past but she can ’t make out what it means. A sense of voyeurism has been created through the people on the streets that she tries to interact with as they just stare motionless at her. Through this idea there is already the sense of unease and questioning which is often created by psychological thrillers, therefore this is bound to intrigue audiences. This thriller represents my view of people who will do anything to be in the spotlight, Debby represents the negative sides of all the women who sell their soul to be famous. The reason why the people on the streets are emotionless is because they represent the fickleness that comes with being famous as her 15 minutes of fame is over and she is no longer relevant to them, she can’t connect with them because they’re not her family. She embodies the brutality and dark side of fame that most “celebrities” often fall into:The loss of her family Destruction of her intelligence.The need for more as nothing is ever good enough, they crave more attention until it finally destroys them.

 The Characters

There is one main character in my thriller opening- an 18 year old woman, however, there are other characters that will play apart in my opening such as little girl who is an enigma in herself as the audience are unaware to whether she is my main characters sister or her when she was younger and innocent. 

Setting
The opening will be filmed mostly in my house as she is waking up in a home from home. I'll be using three different rooms, bedroom where she wakes up and the little girls room. However, this room will be shot twice once with the little girl inside it playing and another time when it is completely empty.

Mise en Scene

Mise en scene is crucial for my thriller as I'm relying on it to build the story due to the lack of dialogue. In the woman's bedroom there will be a photo frame of her and a man and this is what triggers her first flashback. For the scene that involves the little girl I want her toys to be on the floor and I especially want to focus on a teddy bear as I want that bear to be a motif that runs throughout my opening as thats the bear that connects her with the child because the bear will also be on the sofa with her in her flashback.

Editing
In my thriller, the editing will be key to its success as I'm using a lot of flashbacks and I want the editing to be jumpy as it resembles my main characters dysfunctional mind.

Audience
My target audience for my thriller are people 15 - 45 as these are the people who will be able to relate the most to the storyline and would understand it better. I feel the younger generations would enjoy it the most, however people in their 30's and 40's will understand the deeper message more.

 Storyboard

Seen below


No comments:

Post a Comment